Traditional Family Pork Pie Recipe Ingredients 500g pork, cut from shoulder, neck, spare ribs or…
Delicious Moussaka Family Recipe
- 4 medium aubergines, sliced
- salt and pepper
- 150ml oil
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 700g lean minced lamb
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
- 25g butter
- 25g flour
- 400ml pint milk
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
1. Sprinkle the aubergine (eggplant) slices with salt and leave to drain in a colander for 30 minutes. Wash off the salt and dry with absorbent kitchen paper.
2. Meanwhile, heat a little of the oil in a large frying pan (skillet), add the onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the meat, herbs, cinnamon and tomato purée, season to taste and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
3. Heat some of the remaining oil and fry the aubergine slices a few at a time until golden brown. Transfer the slices to a plate as they brown. Use more oil as necessary.
4. Place a layer of aubergine slices in a shallow ovenproof dish. Cover with a layer of the meat mixture. Continue making layers until the ingredients
are used up, finishing with a layer of aubergine. Cover with the sliced tomatoes.
5. To make the sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the milk and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Stir in the mustard and seasoning to taste. Cook for 2 minutes. Pour a little of the sauce onto the eggs and stir well. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and stir well. Pour the sauce over the tomatoes.
6. Bake in a moderately hot oven, 190°C for 20 to 30 minutes or until bubbling and golden brown. Serve immediately with a green or tomato salad.