Traditional Family Pork Pie Recipe Ingredients 500g pork, cut from shoulder, neck, spare ribs or…
Gluten Free Mixed Sushi Rolls
Serves 2 as a main course or 4 as a starter.
- 4 sheets nori (seaweed) for rolling For the rice
- 250g sushi rice
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the fillings
- 50g smoked salmon
- 1/2-inch piece cucumber, peeled, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
- 40g cooked peeled prawns
- 1 small avocado, stoned, peeled, thinly sliced and tossed in lemon juice
- Wasabi (Japanese horseradish sauce).
- Tamari (wheat-free soy sauce)
- Pink pickled ginger
1. Put the rice into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has been absorbed. Drain if necessary and transfer to a bowl. Mix vinegar, sugar and salt together, then, using a spatula, stir well into the rice. Cover with a damp cloth and leave to cool.
2. To make the rolls, lay a clean bamboo mat over a chopping board. Lay a sheet of nori, shiny side-down, on the mat. Spread a quarter of the rice mixture over the nori, using wet fingers to press it down evenly, leaving a |-cm/’/2-inch margin at the top and bottom.
3. For smoked salmon and cucumber rolls, lay the salmon over the rice and arrange the cucumber in a line across the centre. For the prawn rolls, lay the prawns and avocado in a line across the centre.
4. Carefully hold the nearest edge of the mat, then, using the mat as a guide, roll up the nori tightly to make a neat tube of rice enclosing the filling. Seal the uncovered edge with a little water, then roll the sushi off the mat. Repeat to make 3 more rolls – you need 2 salmon and cucumber and 2 prawn and avocado in total.
5. Using a wet knife, cut each roll into 8 pieces and stand upright on a platter. Wipe and rinse the knife between cuts to prevent the rice from sticking. Serve the rolls with wasabi, tamari and pickled ginger.